Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for his sexual needs or the needs of his partner. Most men experience this at some point in their lives, usually by age 40, and are not psychologically affected by it. Erectile dysfunction used to be known more widely as impotence before the causes became better understood and successful treatments came into use.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
There are two types of erectile dysfunction that affect men’s sex lives: medical or psychosocial.
- Medical erectile dysfunction. The patient may be suffering from the result of an underlying medical condition affecting the blood vessels or nerves supplying the penis. Medical ED can also be caused by prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol or smoking.
- Psychosocial erectile dysfunction. The patient may be suffering from psychological effects – including those from social relationships – on sexual performance. Men who experience depression, guilt, and severe anxiety are at higher risk of ED. Sometimes medical ED and psychosocial ED overlap.
The psychological causes of Erectile Dysfunction include:
- Stress, fear, anxiety, or anger
- Stress can include work, financial, and emotional problems
- Performance anxiety – repeated feelings of doubt and failure in which worrying about getting an erection can cause a cycle of anxiety that prevents one from being possible
- Poor communication with a sex partner
- Other relationship problems such as pressure from a sex partner – for example, because expectations make sex a task instead of a pleasure.
Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms
Symptoms can include: Inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or the ability to achieve only brief erections. If you are chronically experiencing any of the symptoms above, we recommend consulting with a doctor.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Erectile dysfunction does not have to become a burden or a source of embarrassment. Men of all ages, including young men, can suffer from this penile condition. Advanced Urology Associates will discuss all of the erectile dysfunction treatment options in the Chicago area available to you. We possess the knowledge and have access to the best resources and erectile dysfunction treatment options.
Regardless of the severity of your case, our medical professionals are equipped with the experience and education to tackle the issue from all possible angles. Reaching an accurate conclusion is essential to figuring out the best course of treatment for your individual situation. Our erectile dysfunction treatment doctors around Joliet will take into account factors like age, history and any related injuries or illnesses.
Sildenafil Citrate Treatment
Sildenafil Citrate has the same active ingredient found in Viagra. It is manufactured in the U.S. and FDA regulated, as opposed to alternatives from overseas and Canadian pharmacies. Sildenafil is available at our office today. Ask your physician about Sildenafil at your next visit.
Schedule an appointment with Advanced Urology Associates
For more information, please give our adult urology experts at Advanced Urology Associates a call at 815.409.4930 serving near Chicago, Joliet, Frankfort, New Lenox, Morris and Naperville, Illinois.
Please visit any of our locations near Chicagoland:
Advanced Urology Morris
1401 Lakewood Dr. Unit 3
Morris, IL 60450
Advanced Urology Silver Cross Location
1890 Silver Cross Blvd.
Pavilion A, Ste. 430
New Lenox, IL 60451
Advanced Urology AUA Prostate Cancer Center
1541 Riverboat Center Drive
Joliet, IL 60431